Saturday, December 11, 2010

Day 5: The roads not taken

Ok, since I'm not making any progress at all in my quest for self-discovery, I'll just write about the other options which I considered taking in the past; that is, the other courses I applied for during my high school senior year.  They were as varied as the colors of a rainbow.  Hahahaha! :)

De La Salle University:
First choice: Manufacturing Engineering and Management.  This is the course I eventually took and graduated with. I actually wanted to take up Industrial Engineering, but when I was filling out my application form, my older brother suggested that I try this course instead. I don't think my career now would have changed if I took up IE, I would have graduated about a year earlier though.
Second choice:  Financial Management.  I can't remember why.

University of the Philippines:
First choice: Pharmacy.  My mom wanted me to take up pharmacy.  It's the only course she suggested to me.   Other than that, I didn't want to study in the huge Diliman campus, so my choices were limited to the medicine-related courses offered by the Manila campus then. (They have Computer Science in the Manila campus now.)  Pharmacy is the only medical course I can imagine myself taking and studying.  Just the thought of studying a cadaver or having to do an injection gives me shivers.
Second choice: I can't remember, I think it's Industrial Pharmacy.  Is there such a thing?
*When I got my letter from UP, they listed me for Nursing.  Needless to say, that's out of the question for me.  In retrospect, I should have at least considered the Diliman campus...

University of Santo Thomas:
First choice: Food Technology.  Yes, that's right, Food Technology.  How undecided was I, really?  I applied for this course because one of my close friends applied for this one, and it did sound interesting.  My friend eventually studied elsewhere, so I ended up not taking this course too.
Second choice: Architecture. Really, this should have been my first choice instead.  But then, I might not have been accepted, since Archi is a quota course, from what I remember.  Years after, when I was already working, in my first company, I considered studying again and taking up this course.  But the idea lasted for just maybe a month or two.  Haha!

Ateneo de Manila University:
I did not apply for ADMU, simply because I didn't feel like writing an essay which was required by the application form! Hahaha. And, for some reason, most of classmates then did not apply for ADMU either.  See how I was easily influenced back then?  Well, that's what happens when you're undecided and unsure...

Chiang Kai Shek College:
Yes, my alma mater offers undergraduate courses.  If I didn't get accepted to any of the three universities I applied for, my fourth choice would have been CKSC, so I didn't bother to apply for the other universities.  I think I would have taken up a business course if I studied in CKSC.

Notice anything?  I did not apply for any computer-related course at all!  When I was in high school, we had computer classes, and I was always impatient in dealing with the computer.  We also had our first computer at home then, and a dot matrix printer.  I used it for my school reports and papers, and the unreliability of the computer then just put me off completely.  Maybe it was because I was not a good user, but the computer hanged, my files weren't saved, the printer malfunctioned...and I. Get. Pissed.  Every time. So I swear off computers completely!  I wished it to extinction. (Sort of like what happened to the beeper.) I didn't want to have anything to do with it.....  Fat chance.  Even doctors and lawyers and entrepreneurs have to use the computer nowadays.  I had to make peace with the computer as early as when I was taking up my Engineering course. (Engineering is like a 25% computer course, maybe more.)  Funny, because now, I have to fight my addiction to the computer.  Hahaha!

993 days left, am I sure I want to keep counting? Progress = 0.1%

No comments: